도산서당(안동 도산서원)

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색
도산서당
道山書堂
Dosanseodang Village Study Hall
Goto.png 종합안내판: 안동 도산서원



해설문

국문

도산서당은 퇴계선생이 만년에 머물면서 제자들을 가르쳤던 곳이다. 1560년에 완성되었으며 도산서원에서 가장 오래된 건물이다.

원래 부엌, 온돌방, 마루로 되어 있었는데, 제자들이 늘어나면서 부엌과 마루를 확장하였다. 확장한 마루 위에는 덧지붕을 달았다.

퇴계선생이 머물던 방의 이름은 완락재(玩樂齋)이며, 제자를 가르쳤던 마루는 암서헌(巖栖軒)이다. 두 이름 모두 주희(朱熹, 1130~1200)의 글에서 취한 것이다. 각각 ‘완상하며 즐긴다.(玩樂)’, ‘바위에 깃들어(巖棲) 작은 효험을 바란다.’는 뜻으로 학문의 즐거움과 겸손의 마음을 담았다.

영문

Dosanseodang Village Study Hall

This village study hall was established by Yi Hwang (1501-1570) in 1560 as a place to teach his students. It is the oldest building in the Dosanseowon Confucian Academy complex.

The building consists of, from left to right, a kitchen, an underfloor-heated room, and a wooden-floored hall. Yi resided in the room and taught in the hall. As the number of students incresed, the kitchen and hall were expanded, and therefore the building has an extended roof on each side.

The room was named Wallakjae, meaning "a place where one appreciates (the way)," and the hall was named Amseoheon, meaning "a place with firm will like a rock." Both names are derived from the work of the Chinese Confucian master Zhu Xi (1130-1200) and convey the delight of learning and the way of modesty.

참고자료