청주향교

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색

해설문 Interpretive Text

국문 Korean 영문 English
향교는 고려시대부터 조선시대까지 지방의 교육기관 역할을 해온 곳이다. 청주향교는 조선 태조 때에 지어진 것으로 추정된다. 1444년세종 26에 왕이 초정椒井에 행차하여 서책을 하사하였으며, 1464년세조 10에는 세조가 친히 제향을 올린 일이 있다. 1683년숙종 9에 현재의 위치로 옮겨 세운 이후 여러 차례 중수하였으며, 1977~1981년에 크게 중수하여 오늘의 모습을 갖추었다. 건물의 배치는 앞에는 유교교육을 위한 강당인 명륜당明倫堂이 있고, 그 뒤편에 문묘인 대성전大成殿과 동무東廡·서무西廡가 있어 공자를 비롯한 성현들의 위패를 모시고 봄·가을로 제향을 받들고 있다. 갑오개혁 때 근대교육제도의 시행에 따라 공적교육기능은 폐지되고, 문묘의 제향 행사만이 유지되어 오늘에 이르고 있다. A hyanggyo is a local, public Confucian school with a shrine for famous Confucian sages. This hyanggyo is believed to have been built during the reign of King Taejo (r. 1392-1398), founder of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). In 1444, King Sejong (r. 1418-1450) visited this school and presented books. In 1464, his son, King Sejo (r. 1455-1468), paid homage to the enshrined Confucian sages. After the Gabo Reform of 1894, a series of drastic national reforms, hyanggyo such as this one were no longer used as a public education institution, but merely as a shrine with ritual services for the enshrined sages. In the front of the complex sits Myeongnyundang, a lecture hall. Daeseongjeon, a shrine for Confucius and other Confucian sages, stands in the back, flanked by two subordinate buildings. The complex was relocated to the present site in the 17th century and has been repaired many times. The present complex underwent a major renovation from 1977 to 1981.

관련 항목 Related Entries

본 기사 Current Entry 관계 Relation 관련 기사 Related Entry
청주향교

위치 Location

갤러리 Gallery

주석