용담향교 대성전

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색
용담향교대성전
Daeseongjeon Shrine of Yongdamhyanggyo Local Confucian School
대표명칭 용담향교대성전
영문명칭 Daeseongjeon Shrine of Yongdamhyanggyo Local Confucian School
한자 龍潭鄕校大成殿
주소 전라북도 진안군 동향면 진성로 1697
지정번호 전라북도 문화재자료 제17호
지정일 1984.04.01
분류 유적건조물/교육문화/교육기관/향교
시대 고려



해설문

국문

이곳 대성전은 공자를 중심으로 여러 성현과 유학자들의 위패를 모신 사당이다. 조선 왕조는 유교를 통치 이념으로 삼아 각 지방에 향교를 세우고 그 안에 대성전을 두어 성현을 제향하고, 명륜당을 두어 후학을 가르쳤다. 용담향교의 창건 연대는 분명하지 않으며, 고려 공양왕(1389~1392) 때 현령 최자비가 중건했다는 기록이 전한다. 용담면 옥거리 용강산 남쪽 기슭에 자리 잡고 있다가 옥거리가 용담댐 건설로 수몰됨에 따라 1998년 이곳으로 건물을 옮겨왔다. 용담향교에는 대성전, 명륜당, 시습재, 양사재, 비각 등이 있다. 해마다 봄·가을에 이곳에서 유교의 성현들에게 제사하는 석전대제를 지낸다.

영문

A hyanggyo is a local, public education institution of the Goryeo (918-1392) and Joseon (1392-1910) periods. It is usually composed of a lecture hall called Myeongnyundang and a shrine called Daeseongjeon that enshrines the spirit tablets of Confucius and Confucian sages and scholars. Confucianism was the ruling principle of the Joseon Dynasty, and such schools were established in every corner of the country to promote Confucianism during this period.

The exact construction period of Yongdamhyanggyo is unknown, but it is said that the school was expanded by a local magistrate during the reign of King Gongyang (r. 1389-1392). The school was originally located on the southern side of Yonggangsan Mountain but was relocated about 20 km to its current location in 1998 due to the construction of Yongdam Dam. In addition to a shrine and lecture hall, this school has two dormitories and a pavilion housing commemorative steles. A ritual to honor the enshrined is performed in this building, Daeseongjeon, each spring and autumn.