- 1 1 Day
- 2 2 Day
- 3 3 Day
Map and Itinerary
Cheongnyeongpo Meandering Stream
Cheongnyeongpo Meandering Stream, located on the upper stream of Namhangang River, is designated as Scenic Site No. 50. The area surrounded by river streams on three sides (north, east, west) and walled by steep rocks (west), is isolated and can only be accessed by a boat. King Danjong of Joseon (1441-1457, reigned 1452-1455), who was forced to abdicate by his uncle, King Sejo, was exiled here in 1455. The riverside area features Nosandae or “Rock of Prince Nosan.” It is said that the ill-fated young king who was referred to as “Prince Nosan” after his deposition, spent his lonely days on the Rock yearning for Hanyang, the capital of Joseon, and building a stone tower called Manghyangtap or Pagoda of Homesickness by piling stones as an expression of his grief.
Jangneung Royal Tomb
Jangneung Royal Tomb in Yeongwol is the tomb of King Danjon (1441-1457, reigned 1452-1455, the sixth king of Joseon, who died in exile. The deposed and exiled king was buried secretly. It was only during the reign of King Jungjong when the court began to discuss about holding a proper memorial service for Danjong. Later in 1698 during the reign of Sukjong, Danjong’s title as a king was restored and his tomb was recognized as a royal tomb. Overall, the tomb is simple in style without a stone screen or balustrade.
Gossigul Cave is located in Jinbyeol-ri, Hadong-myeon, Yeongwol-gun. The name “Gossigul” comes from the fact that a certain Go family took refuge in this cave during the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592. The total length of this limestone cave is 3 km. It is speculated that the cave was formed about 4-5 hundred million years ago. Due to is extraordinary beauty, the cave is designated as Natural Monument No. 219
- Cultural Heritage Administration, 'Gossigul Cave', Heritage Search
Museum of Sabuk Coal Mine
The Museum was established at Donwong mine site, which was the largest private coal mine in South Korea. The mine began operation in 1962 and was closed in 2004. The Museum provides a unique opportunity to experience life at a coal mine with preserved pit-head baths, equipment room, ventilation shaft, and other facilities used by the miners as well as an underground mine tour.
- 한국관광공사, 사북 탄광문화관광촌, 『대한민국 구석구석』
Map and Itinerary
Chuam and Haeamjeong Pavilion
Cheokjudonghaebi Monument and Daehanpyeongsutochanbi Monument
Cheokjudonghaebi(East Sea Stale in Cheokju) was erected by Heo Mok, the governor of Samcheok in 1661 during King Hyeonjong's reign. Heo Mok composed a poem titled Ode to the East Sea which expressed his strong desire to protect his city from tsunamis that devastated the area, and engraved the poem on the stale. Daehanpyeongsutochanbi Stale, which contains 48 Chinese characters from the Chinese Emperor Yu's Stale served a similar purpose as Cheokjudonghaebi.
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Travel: Cheokjudonghaebi & Daehanpyeongsutochanbi', Imagine Your Korea
Jukseoru Pavilion is an open pavilion that overlooks at the Osipcheon Stream. Due to the beautiful scenery that surrounds the pavilion, it is regarded as one of the Eight Scenic Views of Gwangdong or Eastern Korea. It is estimated that the pavilion was built around 1266 by Yi Seung-hyu, a renowned scholar of Goryeo. Later, it was repaired in 1403 during the reign of King Taejong of Joseon. It was much loved by scholars who came to enjoy the scenery and composed poetry in their admiration.
- Cultural Heritage Administration, 'Jukseoru Pavilion', Heritage Search
Ojukheon House is where Sin Saimdang (1504-1551) lived and her son, Yi I (Yulgok, 1536-1584) was born. Sin Saimdang was an exemplary mother, wise wife, and an outstanding artist while her son was considered to be one of the greatest scholars of Joseon with Yi Hwang. Built during the early Jeseon Dynasty, this house remains to be one of the oldest wooden residential building in Korea. It was designated as Treasure No. 165. Inside the house is Yulgok Memorial Hall (Mongryongsil) where Yi I was born.
- Cultural Heritage Administration, 'Ojukheon House', Heritage Search
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Travel: Ojukheon House', Imagine Your Korea
Seongyojang was the residence of Naebeon Lee (1703-1781) and his noble family and was built in the later period the Joseon dynasty. The house is designated as National Folklore Cultural Heritage No.5. It is said that around ten generations of Naebeon Lee's descendants have continued to live in the house, preserving a traditional way of life for the past 300 years. The house comprises the anchae (women’s quarters), sarangchae (men’s quarters), haengnangchae (servants’ quarters), and detached quarters. The house also has a pavilion from where residents could gaze at a pond will blooming lotus flower.
- Cultural Heritage Administration, 'Seongyojang House', Heritage Search
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Travel: Seongyojang House', Imagine Your Korea
Gyeongpodae Pavilion located on an upland overlooking Gyeongpoho Lagoon. Regarded as one of the Eight Scenic Views of Gwangdong or Eastern Korea, it is designated as National Scenic Site No. 108. It was constructed by Bak Suk, a local administrative official, in the late Goryeo Period (918-1392), but underwent many renovations. The Pavilion attracted numerous visitors, among whom were renowned scholars, poets, and painters who created odes to the beautiful scenery in awe. Inside the pavilion, visitors can see wooden steles by renowned scholars, including the one with engravings of Gyeongpodaebu by Yi Yulgok. Gyeongpodae Pavilion also reflects the changes in architectural style over time.
- Cultural Heritage Administration, 'Gyeongpodae Pavilion', Heritage Search
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Travel: Gyeongpodae Pavilion', Imagine Your Korea
Birthplace of Heo Gyun and Heo Nanseolheon
This is the birthplace of Heo Gyun (1569-1618), the author of Hong Gil-dong jeon,and his sister Heo Namseolheon(1563-1589), also a great poet. The house has features of traditional residence for the Joseon period nobility.
- 한국관광공사, 강릉 이광노가옥,『대한민국 구석구석』
Map and Itinerary
Sangwonsa Temple was built in 705 during the Silla Kingdom by two princes of King Sin Mun (reigned 681-692), Bocheon and Hyomyeong. Then, it was renovated by King Sejo (reigned 1455-1468) of the Joseon Dynasty. The temple houses a number of national treasures including the Bronze Bell of Sangwonsa Temple (National Treasure no.36) amd the Wooden Seated Child Manjusri (National Treasure no.221).
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Travel: Sangwonsa Temple', Imagine Your Korea
Woljeongsa Temple, located in a forested valley east of Odaesan Mountain, and is in charge of over 60 temples and 8 monasteries in the area. Seongbo Museum that exhibits Buddhist relics and artifacts from the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) is also located in the temple. Woljeongsa was built by the Buddhist monk Ja Jang (590-658) during the reign of Queen Seondeok of Silla (632-647).
Lee Hyo-seok Memorial Hall
Lee Hyo-seok Memorial Hall opened in 2002 in commemoration of Lee Hyo-seok (pen-name Gasan), the author of When Buckwheat Flowers Bloom. This memorial hall or house museum has displays of objects used by the writers and his manuscripts.
- Korea Tourism Organization, 'Lee Hyo-seok Memiral Hall', Imagine Your Korea