함벽당

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색
함벽당
Hambyeokdang Pavilion
대표명칭 함벽당
영문명칭 Hambyeokdang Pavilion
한자 涵碧堂
주소 경상북도 안동시 서후면 개목사길 191-4
지정번호 문화재자료 제260호
지정일 1992.07.18
분류 유적건조물/주거생활/조경건축/누정
시대 조선
수량/면적 1동



해설문

국문

이 건물은 조선 명종(明宗) 때의 절충장군(折衝將軍) 강희철(康希哲)이 관직에서 물러난 후 지은 정자이다. 그 뒤 옥봉(玉峯) 권위(權暐)의 소유가 되었다가, 다시 함벽당 류경시(柳敬時, 1666~1737)의 소유가 되었다. 함벽당은 전주류씨(全州柳氏)로 임동 수곡(水谷)에서 태어났다. 숙종(肅宗) 20년(1694) 알성문과(謁聖文科)에 급제한 후 사헌부(司憲府)장령과 여러 고을의 수령을 거쳐 순천부사를 지냈다. 목민관(牧民官)으로서 청백리(淸白吏)에 뽑혔다.

건립연대는 17세기로 전해지고 있으나, 건물 양식은 약간 후대의 건물로 보인다. 류경시가 죽은 후 100여년 뒤인 철종(哲宗) 13년(1862)에 대대적으로 수리한 것으로 보인다. 천둥산 기슭에 있는데, 문을 들어서면 정자가 남향으로 앉아 있다. 온돌방 3칸을 남향으로 배치한 후 어간의 전면으로 2칸의 대청을 돌출시켜 ‘T’자형의 평면을 구성하였다.

영문

This pavilion was originally built by General Kang Hui-cheol (?-?) after his retirement during the reign of King Myeongjong (r. 1534-1567). It was first called Hamgyeongdang after General Kang’s pen-name, but was later changed to Hambyeokdang after the pen-name of Ryu Gyeong-si (1666-1737), when the pavilion was acquired by Ryu. Ryu, a civil official of the late Joseon period, passed the state examination in 1694, and was known for his integrity and honesty as a local governor.

Though this building is said to have been built in the 17th century, its architectural style displays the characteristics of later times, and is presumed to have been reconstructed in 1862, about 100 years after Ryu’s death. The building has a T-shaped layout, with three rooms in the back and an open-air wooden-floored hall extending outward in the front.