진행중

예천 남악종택

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색


예천 남악종택
Namak Head House, Yecheon
예천 남악종택, 국가문화유산포털, 문화재청.
대표명칭 예천 남악종택
영문명칭 Namak Head House, Yecheon
한자 醴泉 南嶽宗宅
주소 경상북도 예천군 용문면 구계길 43-8 (구계리)
지정번호 국가민속문화재 제248호
지정일 2007년 1월 12일
분류 유적건조물/주거생활/주거건축/가옥
시대 조선시대
수량/면적 3필지/일곽 2,202㎡
웹사이트 예천 남악종택, 국가문화유산포털, 문화재청.



해설문

국문

남악 종택은 조선 전기 문신 남악 김복일(金復一, 1541~1591)의 종택이다. 그의 오촌이자, 병자호란 때 중국 청나라에 항복하는 것을 반대했던 신하인 불구당(不求堂) 김주(金注)가 태어난 곳이다.

1981년 지붕을 고칠 때 발견된 기와에서 ‘인조 12년(1634)에 용문사의 승려 운보(雲補)가 조성했다’라는 기록이 나와 건립 연대가 확인되었다.

종택은 낮은 야산을 배경으로 동남쪽을 바라보며 자리하고 있다. 정면 9칸, 측면 7칸의 ‘ㅁ’자형 구조로, 안채와 사랑채 앞으로 ‘ㄱ’ 자로 된 초가 문간채가 두었다.

지형의 높낮이에 따라 안채, 사랑채, 문간채의 높이를 조절하여 시야를 확보하였으며, 바람이 잘 통하고 햇빛이 잘 드는 쾌적한 공간을 만들었다.

가옥 구조는 ‘ㅁ’자형이지만 양쪽 날개집을 길게 하여 햇빛이 안마당까지 들 수 있도록 했다. 또한 용도에 맞도록 작은 방을 많이 설치하고, 독립적인 외부 공간을 구분하였다.

이 가옥은 당시 사대부 양반가옥의 주거공간 구성과 건축적 특성을 잘 갖추고 있어 민속적 가치가 높다.

영문

Namak Head House, Yecheon

This is the head house of Kim Bok-il (1541-1591, pen name: Namak). A head house is a residence passed down among the male successors of a family lineage.

Kim Bok-il, of the Uiseong Kim Clan, passed the state examination in 1570 and served as a royal secret inspector in Jeolla-do Province. He became widely known for prosecuting corrupt officials. After he married a sister of Gwon Mun-hae, a mid-Joseon period civil official and scholar, he settled in Gugye-ri which was near Jukrim-ri, a clan village of his in-laws.

The house consists of a gate quarters, inner gate quarters, women’s quarters, and men’s quarters, all which are connected to each other and form a square layout with a courtyard in the middle. The gate quarters has a thatched roof, while the rest have tiled roofs. The wooden plaque hung at the front of the men’s quarters reads “Gahakru (駕鶴摟),” meaning “A pavilion atop which a crane plays.”

While repairing the roof in 1981, a roof tile bearing an inscription stating “Made in 1634 by a monk Unbo from Yongmunsa Temple” was discovered, suggesting that the house was built prior to 1634.

A family shrine was built separately at the back of the house.


린지

This is the head house of the descendants of Kim Bok-il (1541-1591, pen name: Namak), a civil official of the middle period of the Joseon dynasty (1392-1910). A head house is a residence passed down among the male successors of a family lineage.

Kim Bok-il, of the Uiseong Kim Clan, passed the state examination in 1570 and served various official posts. He became widely known for prosecuting corrupt officials when he served as a royal secret inspector in the Jeolla-do area. He settled in this village because it is nearby the family clan village of his wife, Lady Gwon.

The house is presumed to have been built prior to 1634. It consists of a servant's quarters, men's quarters, inner gate quarters, and women's quarters, which are all connected but have different elevations due to the sloping terrain. There is also a family shrine behind the house off to the right.

The thatched-roof servant's quarters at the front left is connected directly to the men's quarters on the right, which demonstrates that the master of the house and his servants lived in exceptionally close proximity.

The men's quarters has a 3-by-3 section layout. There are elevated wooden porches with balustrades in the front and right, and underfloor-heated rooms in the rear left. The inner gate quarters served as a second men's quarters.

The women's quarters, located in the back of the complex, sits upon a high foundation around a courtyard. The wooden-floored hall at the center of the quarters has a higher roof than the rest. The wings on the left and right have underfloor-heated rooms, kitchens, attics, and other storage spaces.

A number of important historic documents were kept in this house over the centuries, including an early 15th-century reprinting of a Chinese text on farming, which is the oldest discovered movable metal type document of the Joseon period.

Misc.

영문 해설 내용

이 집은 조선 전기의 문신 김복일(1541-1591 호: 남악)의 종택이다. 종택이란 한 집안의 종가가 대대로 사는 집이다.

김복일은 1570년 과거에 급제한 후 탐관오리를 숙청하는 전라도어사로 이름을 날렸다. 조선 중기의 문신이자 학자인 권문해의 누이와 결혼한 후, 권씨 집성촌인 죽림리 옆 구계리 마을에 터를 잡았다.

종택은 대문채, 중문채, 안채, 사랑채가 ‘ㅁ’자형으로 배치되어 있다. 대문채는 초가 지붕을 두었다. 사랑채 앞면에는 ‘가학루(駕鶴摟)’라고 쓴 현판이 걸려있는데, 이는 ‘학을 타고 노니는 누각’이라는 뜻이다.

1981년 지붕을 수리할 때 ‘1634년 용문사의 승려 운보가 만들었다’는 내용의 글씨가 새겨진 기와가 발견되었으며, 이를 통해 이 집은 1634년 이전에 건립된 것으로 추정된다.

사당은 집 뒤편에 별도로 지어져 있다.

갤러리