안동 의성김씨 종택

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색
안동 의성김씨 종택
Head House of the Uiseong Kim Clan, Andong
안동 의성김씨 종택, 국가문화유산포털, 문화재청.
대표명칭 안동 의성김씨 종택
영문명칭 Head House of the Uiseong Kim Clan, Andong
한자 安東 義城金氏 宗宅
주소 경상북도 안동시 임하면 경동로 1949-9 (천전리)
지정번호 보물 제450호
지정일 1967년 6월 23일
분류 유적건조물/주거생활/주거건축/가옥
시대 조선시대
수량/면적 1동
웹사이트 안동 의성김씨 종택, 국가문화유산포털, 문화재청.



해설문

국문

안동 의성 김씨 종택은 청계 김진(靑溪 金璡)의 종갓집으로, 임진왜란 때에 불에 타 없어졌던 것을 학봉 김성일(鶴峯 金誠一)이 다시 지은 것이다. 16세기 말 김성일이 사신으로 명나라 북경에 다녀온 후, 북경의 상류층 주택을 본떠 지었기 때문에 건물의 구조와 배치가 매우 독특하다.

안채와 사랑채는 모두 1.6m 정도 높이의 기단 위에 세워져 바깥채보다 높이 자리한다. 다른 주택과 달리 안채의 안방이 사랑채보다 바깥쪽에 있고, 사랑채는 별채처럼 외진 곳에 있어 손님이 행랑채의 대문을 거치지 않고 바로 사랑채로 들어갈 수 있다. 사랑채에 딸린 부속채는 2층으로 되어 있어 위층은 서고로, 아래층은 헛간으로 쓰였다.

영문

Head House of the Uiseong Kim Clan, Andong

This is the head house of the family of Kim Jin (1500-1580), a Confucian scholar of the Joseon period (1392-1910). A head house is a residence passed down among the male successors of a family lineage. Cheonjeon-ri Village, where this house is located, has been a clan village of the Uiseong Kim Clan since the end of 14th century when Kim Man-geun, the grandfather of Kim Jin, first settled in this area.

Kim Jin passed the state examination in 1525 after which he devoted himself to his studies. He built a number of study halls in Cheonjeon-ri Village and was a devoted teacher to many young students. Then, his descendants flourished for generations and developed as one of the most renowned prestigious families in this area.

The original head house was destroyed during the Japanese invasions of 1592-1598 and the current house was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century by Kim Seong-il (1538-1593), the fourth son of Kim Jin. It is said to have been built in the style of the head houses of upper-class families in Beijing, after Kim Seong-il had visited Ming China as a royal envoy in 1577.

It consists of a men’s quarters, women’s quarters, servants’ quarters, and shrine. In most houses of this area, the buildings of the women’s quarters and the men’s quarters are on the opposite sides of the inner courtyard, all together arranged in a square layout, but the buildings of this house have unique structure and architectural style. The women’s quarters and the men’s quarters are built side by side, with a courtyard in the middle, while the square layout of the women’s quarters forms its own inner courtyard. The stairs and small entrance between the women’s quarters and the men’s quarters lead to the backyard, where the shrine is located.

영문 해설 내용

이 집은 조선시대의 학자인 김진(1500-1580) 가문의 종택이다. 종택이란 한 집안의 종가가 대대로 사는 집이다. 이 집이 위치한 천전리는 14세기 말 김진의 할아버지인 김만근이 입향하면서 의성김씨의 집성촌이 되었다.

김진은 1525년 생원시에 합격하였고, 이후 학문에만 전념하였다. 천전리 곳곳에 서당을 세우고 후진 양성에 힘썼다. 이후 그 후손들이 대대로 번성하면서 이 지역의 대표적인 명문 사족으로 발전하였다.

원래의 종택은 임진왜란 때 소실되었고, 현재의 집은 16세기 말에 김진의 넷째 아들인 김성일(1538-1593)이 다시 지었다. 김성일이 1577년 사신으로 명나라에 다녀온 후, 북경에 있는 상류층 주택을 따라 지었다고 한다.

사랑채, 안채, 행랑채, 사당으로 구성되어 있다. 이 지역의 집들은 대부분 안채와 사랑채가 안마당을 사이에 두고 ㅁ자형을 이루고 있는데, 이 집은 건물의 구조와 배치가 매우 독특하다. 안채와 사랑채가 나란히 배치되어 가운데에 마당을 두고 있고, ㅁ자형의 안채가 단독으로 마당을 두고 있다. 안채와 사랑채 사이에 설치된 계단과 쪽문을 통해 사당이 있는 뒷마당으로 나갈 수 있다.