시사단

HeritageWiki
이동: 둘러보기, 검색
시사단
Sisadan Monument
대표명칭 시사단
영문명칭 Sisadan Monument
한자 試士壇
주소 경상북도 안동시 도산면 의촌리 556
지정번호 시도유형문화재 제33호
지정일 1973.08.31
분류 유적건조물/인물사건/역사사건/역사사건
수량/면적 1동



해설문

국문

조선 정조(正祖) 16년(1792) 3월에 왕이 관원(官員) 이만수(李晩秀)에게 명하여 퇴계(退溪) 이황(李滉)의 학덕과 업적을 기리는 뜻에서 도산서원(陶山書院)에 제사를 지내게 하고, 과거(도산별과)를 실시하게 하였다. 이를 기념하기 위하여 단을 만들고 비를 세운 것이 시사단이다.

원래의 석비는 1795년에 세웠으나, 현존비는 순조(純祖) 24년(1824)에 비각의 개축과 아울러 고쳐 세운 것으로 비문의 찬자는 영의정 번암(樊巖) 채제공(蔡濟恭, 1720~1799)이다. 비각은 사면 1칸의 팔작집이며, 중방 아래는 모두 판벽으로 돌려 막아 비바람의 침해를 예방하였으며, 겹처마의 사면 추녀 아래에는 각기 팔각 활주를 세워 견실한 구성을 보인다.

안동댐 건설로 당초의 위치에서 거북이 형태로 높게 단을 쌓아 물에 잠기지 않게 하였다.


영문

Sisadan, located near Dosanseowon Confucian Academy, includes a monument erected to commemorate a special state examination in 1792, as well as the pavilion which houses the monument.

In 1792, King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800) ordered a memorial rite and a special state examination to be held at Dosanseowon in honor of its founder Yi Hwang’s (1501-1570, pen name: Toegye) academic achievement and virtue. Yi was one of the most prominent Confucian scholars of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).

A commemorative monument was erected in 1795, and its inscription was composed by Chae Je-gong (1720-1799), the chief state councilor during the reign of Jeongjo. The current monument is a reproduction of the original erected in 1824 when the pavilion was renovated.

The pavilion has a hip-and-gable roof with double-layered eaves, supported by tall posts at each corner. Its four sides are covered with wooden boards to protect the monument from heavy rain and strong wind.

In the 1970s, a 10 meter-high mound was built underneath Sisadan to prevent it from becoming submerged by rising waters caused by the nearby Andong Dam.