(Translation) 庚午年 私奴 丁山 江陵大都護府 立旨
|English||Abridged Certificate of Gangneung Special City for Slave Jeongsan in the gyeong-o year |
|Chinese||庚午年 私奴 丁山 江陵大都護府 立旨|
|Korean(RR)||경오년 사노 정산 강릉대도호부 입지(Gyeongonyeon Sano Jeongsan Gangneung-daedohobu Ipji)|
|Key Concepts||petition, certificate, slave, letter of authorization, evidence|
|Translator(s)||Participants of 2018 Summer Hanmun Workshop (Advanced Translation Group)|
|Editor(s)||Jaeyoon Song, Sanghoon Na|
行下 向敎 是事
大 都護府 處分[官押]
Abridged Certificate of Gangneung Special City for Slave Jeongsan in the gyeong-o year 
Private Male Slave Jeongsan residing in Ganam [Signature of Finger Joint]
The purpose of this petition is as follows:
My master [Yi Naebeon] purchased farm fields and rice paddies from Saengwon Song residing in Icheon. Based upon the letter of authorization given to his slave Subong by his master [Mr. Song], the agreement document was made. Since the matter occurred in another distant region [Gangneung], the people nowadays might make an issue out of it. Thus, by attaching the bill of sale with the letter of authorization together with this petition like this, I appeal to you to issue a sealed certificate in order to be used as evidence later. I beg you earnestly rubbing my hands ten thousand times.
Please grant this petition.
The petition submitted on a certain day of the fifth month of the gyeong-o year .
[Official Decision] A certificate is issued in order to be used as evidence later.
On the seventeenth day [Government Seal]
- An abridged certificate is called ipji 立旨, while an unabridged one is iban 立案. This abridged certificate here was originally served as a petition at first. Once the petition was ratified by a government office, it became a certificate. Therefore, the same document can be both a petition and a certificate.
- Saengwon 生員 was a scholar who passed the classics licentiate examination. The licentiate examinations were of two kinds; the classics licentiate examination (saengwon-gwa 生員科) that examined candidates on the Four Books and Five Classics of China, and the literary licentiate examination (jinsa-gwa 進士科) that tested skill in composing such Chinese literary forms as shi poetry (shi 詩), rhyme-prose (fu 賦), documentary prose (biao 表), and the problem-essay (ce 策). See Lee 1984, 180.
- This special city (daedohobu 大都護府) refers to Gangneung. In the late Joseon period, there were five special cities: Andong, Gangneung, Yeongheung, Yeongbyeon, and Changwon.
- The signature gwan 官 was engraved in wood first and then stamped on the document for the sake of convenience.
- According to Sim Yeong-hwan (Senior Researcher at the Jangseogak Archives of The Academy of Korean Studies), it was usual that the exact date was not recorded because the drafter did not know when the petition would be delivered after it was completed. According to Mun Sukja (Researcher at the SNU Law Research Institute), the documents of the late Joseon period tended to omit the date unlike those of the early- or mid-Joseon period. Mun Sukja interviewed by the translator, August 22, 2018.
- Discussion Questions: